What's your elephant?

Maybe you have a monkey on your back, are hoping pigs fly, or need to eat an elephant. Whatever burdens weigh you down, you are certainly not alone. Join me as I jump right in to eating my zoo of elephants, one bite at a time.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Investments

(A repost from 2007)
 
2 Chronicles 25:
6 [King Amaziah] also hired a hundred thousand fighting men from Israel for a hundred talents of silver. 7 But a man of God came to him and said, "O king, these troops from Israel must not march with you, for the Lord is not with Israel--not with any of the people of Ephraim. 8 Even if you go and fight courageously in battle, God will overthrow you before the enemy, for God has the power to help or to overthrow." 9 Amaziah asked the man of God, "But what about the hundred talents I paid for these Israelite troops?"

But God, why do you want me to work in a prayer ministry when I've invested all this work in the choir ministry?

But God, I've bought this house to fix up for my family. Now you want me to sell it?

But God, I paid good money for these baseball tickets, why would you want me to miss the game?

But God, I put all this time into a children's ministry and now you want me to give it up?

But God said (through his prophet) "The Lord can give you much more than that."

I'm sure Amaziah thought he was doing good in hiring those men to help fight. I mean, what could be wrong in preparation? Sometimes, I really think we can do what seems to be good in our eyes & everyone elses' too. We can invest our money in something that seems so wise. We can invest our time into ministries. What could be wrong with a ministry? We could invest our talents. God gave us the talents. Shouldn't we use them?

To everything there is a season. Sure, using talents for God is wonderful. But, has He given us other talents to use for THIS season? Sure, God wants us to enjoy life and, for example, purchase those baseball tickets we've been saving for. But, would he rather us use that money for something else now?

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.

Praise the Lord that His ways aren't my ways! I don't know what's best for me! This is why I should consult him...

...even when I think I know what's best
...even when things make sense
...even when it's something "godly"
...even when it seems wise to me
...even when I've already spent my time & effort & money & talents
...even when I think I know what He would say

Because when I consult Him and really listen (as His word tells me to do SO many times), I find out what He wants me to invest my ______ (time, money, talent, etc.) in. And, just has he promised Amaziah, he can give me a much better return on that investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment